Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Special Notice! It's De-Lurking Week! Spread the News and Boldly Go and Comment Where You've Not Commented Before!

This post is going to be rather a gallimaufry of thoughts. Starting with: It's De-Lurking Week!



There are more cute buttons on her site. Steal one (she says it's ok). Comment on her site too! Tell her Dawno sent you, just for fun. I'll be checking!!

Next up: This just has to be a prank. Someone out there on the internets has had a lot of fun somehow getting the following quote, attributed to Shakespeare, put up all over the place:

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.


Shakespeare? I'm no expert but I can't imagine it was even written any earlier than the 60s or 70s. By the way, I discovered all this reading in the comments on Making Light.

It sounds vaguely familiar. The three books that came to mind were My Sister, My Friend which my sister got for me for my birthday many, many moons ago, Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which I've never read, but it seems to fit, somehow, in my imagination of what that book would read like, and Charlotte's Web, which is my favorite for the quote (and one of my favorite children's books. BTW, anyone else see the animated version with Paul Lynde as Templeton the Rat?). If anyone has the book handy and can find the quote in there, let me know! Oh, and you can post your discovery of the source on Making Light, too - I bet there are some there who'd like to know. Googling didn't help.

On the other hand: I'm working on a story (Working Title "Dawno's Fieldguide to Whistlepigs") loosely based on the adventures of the plucky folks who posted in the New Host Coming thread on AW. If you posted there and haven't given me permission to use you (albiet in a very fictionalized fashion, as the basis for a character and solely from the 'persona' you used in that thread) and shamelessly steal ideas from your posts there, I won't.

Lastly, thanks to those of you who've already done the AW MondayMeme. Again, whilst perusing Making Light, I came upon Nicole LeBoeuf-Little's post that one of her pet peeves is the misuse of the term "meme" for these quizzes - I understand her point at one level - that's not going to stop me from calling our lists, etc. "memes" because at another level, things like urban legends, jokes, chain letters, anecdotes, etc. are considered memes. A short definition is 'Generally, memes can comprise any piece of information that can possibly transfer between two minds — idea, thought, joke, song, dance, habit, even state of mood.' So, what do you think?

,

10 comments:

uniquematerial said...

ummm...I don't get it.

Mac said...

Ah! I can see I shall have to update my blog. :)

So glad I know you, Dawno.

Frank Baron said...

I'd tell you what I think but that would require de-lurking.

Anonymous said...

If that's Shakespeare, I'll eat my cat. It's too crunchy and new agey to be him.

Marilyn Braun said...

Hi Dawno,

Happy De-Lurking week!

Marilyn :o)

Mark Pettus said...

I still don't know what a meme is, but I believe you should use it for anything you like. I've personally stolen words and given them new meaning, and now proclaim that doing so is within the purview of any writer.

So there. I think that's memeable.

Andrea Allison said...

Happy De-Lurking Week, Dawno!

ohdawno said...

Frank, Cookie and Marilyn, saw your delurking posts on Paper Napkin :-) Thanks for mentioning who sentcha!

Paprikapink said...

Dawno, did I miss the part where you answered the ten questions?

ohdawno said...

Paprikapink, nope - I didn't answer them, but I've corrected that oversight and my answers are in the comments on the Monday Meme #4 thread. Thanks for the reminder and for also doing the meme!