Sunday, January 01, 2006

Did You Know...

We had a whole extra second in 2005? I hope you used the time wisely.

I also hope everyone had a lovely New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. I was scheduled to leave this morning at an obscenely early hour so I called the airline and rescheduled my flight to a later time and luxuriated in the extra couple hours of sleep. I got back early this afternoon and have spent the majority of the day watching the Monk marathon with the SO. It's so nice to be home with my sweetie and my silly fluffball of a cat.

I get to start 2006 with many new pairs of socks. When my daughter asked me what I'd like for Christmas that's what I told her. And I meant it; I wasn't just giving her a cheap option so she would save her money for presents for SailorBeau. I really wanted socks! She bought me quite a few pair and I can't decide which are my favorites - there are several argyle pairs, a pink and black tiger striped pair, some polka dot pairs and one pair that is covered in Battle Birds (parrots for the uninitiated amongst you). She also gave me a lovely sweater and a tee-shirt that is completely unsuitable for work due to the, uh, humorous sentiment emblazoned upon it, confessing my vice (smoking) and advising people to mind their own business about it - in much less polite terms.

I should also mention that my son and his girlfriend gave us lovely and thoughtful gifts lest you think poorly of the boy - I will always treasure the personalized ornament and the lovely shamrock keychain with it's engraved message and I know the SO is thrilled with his new Suduko game.

I haven't made a New Year's Resolution in decades and I'm not going to start now, but I did notice that one of the most commented upon post here was the one about cooking. I might just have to non-resolve to post more about my culinary efforts, if that's what brings you people out!

This year I do plan to write much more, learn more about grammar and punctuation (actually, re-learn all the stuff I've ignored for over 20 years) and submit stuff "till hell won't have it" to quote James Macdonald. I would like to get to the point in a year, or maybe two, where I feel ready to try applying to a writers' workshop because they look like a heck of a fun time. (Did that sentence have too many or not enough commas? *sigh*)

Best wishes to everyone - may your 2006 be wonderful.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, DawnO!

Did you know that there's a community at LJ that's all about crock pot cooking? Just a thought. ;^)

uniquematerial said...

'til hell won't have it'? I din't know Oncle Jim wuz Southern. How 'bout that!

T. M. Hunter said...

That extra second must have been what threw the folks off on TV...since it seemed like they were off a few seconds (compared to the crowd and prompts) during the New Year's Eve countdown.

Joanne said...

Could we have an extra year instead of a second, Dawno? I could use the extra time. :) Happy New Year to you, too!!

Joanne said...

Oh yes, WELCOME BACK!!!

Paprikapink said...

Writers' workshop...fun idea.

Let's have our own!

Ray Wong said...

Now you tell me. I can't believe I wasted that second. Gimme me back!

ohdawno said...

Cookie: is there anything under the sun that there isn't a LJ community about? Saw the other day there's a community for furries who drive Scions...I mean "whuh??"

Unique: Oncle Jim seems to be universal. I don't always agree with his personal opinions of some things but I never disagree when he's talking about writing.

Aston: I missed it, fell asleep New Year's Eve in the hotel before 11.

Joanne: I'm with you. I'd like 1978 or 1979 back, please.

Joanne: thanks :-)

Paprikapink: Cool idea. I'm thinking about seeing if I can host a West Coast AW get together - perhaps we could toss in a little mini-conference for the serious ones. I plan to be drinking Ray under the table...

Ray: Sorry, my time machine needs a new paratemporal framulator

Unknown said...

I have an extra paratemporal framulator for your time machine if you have a silver idiosycnral sychroniser for mine.

ohdawno said...

Jen, if you can get it repaired I have a broken one :-)

T. M. Hunter said...

I see the Vladirian liquor worked then, eh Dawno?