Friday, November 04, 2005

Beefy Bloomers!!

Ray tagged me over on his blog and my LitMeme for him is in comments there. It's not quite a lit meme because I used the first 5 books on my shelf -- which were books about the craft of writing. Doing the meme made me think of how I've been watching -- from outside with my nose pressed to the window -- all the craziness which is NaNoWriMo. I know in my heart it was the right thing to do, not to sign up this year, but I am wistful that there are so many folks doing it, seemingly having lots of fun and I'm not one of them.

Speaking of fun there is a thread on AW about a Reuters news article: Pennsylvania company recalls 94,400 lbs of beef. In case they've fixed the typo, here's what caught Paprikapink's eye:

"Quaker Maid Meats Inc. on Tuesday said it would voluntarily recall 94,400 pounds of frozen ground beef panties that may be contaminated with E. coli."

I have added my thoughts to the thread. I think meat and poultry product undies could be the next big thing as long as they can keep them germ free, don't you? Deli Dainties has a nice ring to it. Maybe I should register the trademark...

An almost non sequitur segue here (mentioning AW made me think of this - my mind does these contortions all the time). I hope everyone who reads here is aware of Stories of Strength. Since I think that a lot of the kind folks who drop by are actually contributors to the book, it's a sure thing they're aware. But if you happened upon this site randomly or didn't find via AbsoluteWrite then maybe it's a good thing I'm mentioning it! You may skip the next paragraph if you are from AW.

From the blurb:
Born in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, this anthology shares stories about what it takes to beat the odds. More than 100 writers contributed these essays, fiction and poetry to raise money for disaster relief charities in the region. Featuring writing from Orson Scott Card, Wil Wheaton, and Robin Lee Hatcher. At times tear-jerking, at times humorous, this book is guaranteed to inspire and remind readers that the human spirit knows no boundaries.
The book is available now on Lulu. Just click the banner (animated by my dear friends Luvie and Alby from LJ) at the top of this blog to go to the official site. Or go directly to Lulu and order your copy. Mine have shipped (got 2). I can't wait to read it.

I went over to tehSoapbox.net and posted the press release in the Books forum. I hope lots of folks from there buy a copy. TehSoapbox.net was created by the admin and mods of the former forum attached to Wil Wheaton's website and many of the members are quite fond of Wil, so I hope his contribution to the book will draw them to at least consider buying it or spreading the word. Wil's Soapbox was my first forum ever and a fun place to learn the ins and outs of proper forum decorum.

Tonight the cursor is keeping up with the typing. I hope there are fewer errors to correct that you would have seen on the Feedblitz email of my last posts but that I went back and corrected in the blog later. My brain however is just about powered down for the night, so I'll stop here.

No comments: