Monday, October 03, 2005

To NaNo or Not to NaNo...

I've pretty much decided to try NaNo this year. Went to the site but registration is down. Server issues.

I'm reading No Plot? No Problem!by Chris Baty the founder of NaNo to help get psyched up. Fun book, too, the guy's got a sense of humor I can appreciate. For example: "For me, when I don my plastic Viking helmet, I know I've left the real world behind and am sailing off to the shores of my fictional Valhalla. The hat reminds me that I am Elsewhere, and I will be staying there until the ships reserves of Dr Pepper and Starburst run low." I'm considering a feathered boa and an extra long cigarette holder like you see in those cartoons of flapper girls from the 20s (also in pictures of FDR, but that's not really the look I'm going for)

Speaking of reading, I've got way too many books in progress. I got an advance reading copy of a book that comes out this month, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, The Historian (which I'm really struggling with for some reason), two new romances by a fellow AW member Susan Gable, a mystery by fellow AW member Nancy Mehl, a Harry Turtledove alternative history and several writing books (two by Jenna Glatzer, editor in chief of AW), all in various stages of getting read. I had also put aside some Star Trek books awhile back. I really need to win the lottery so I can devote the 8 - 10 work hours I normally put in to catching up on my reading. Because after I finish the ones in progress there are others waiting to be read as well. Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, especially.

I also want to get my Sony Clie figured out so I can take notes and keep my calendar on it. The keyboard on the Clie is very handy for notes and I 'thumb' type pretty fast. It would be great have handy but if I can't transfer the stuff on it to my laptop easily I'm not going to bother.

No comments: