Thursday, October 06, 2005

Elevator Etiquette

I take elevators a lot. I've got a rolling backpack full of Arizona tea bottles and my laptop and it's just too heavy to walk upstairs with. (Down I'll walk, up? uh - nope) Anyway there are a couple of things that bug me about people and elevators.

#1 If you're outside waiting for the elevator, step back and let the people inside get out before you barrel your way in. You won't get there any faster elbowing me out of your way as I try to exit. Chances are good I'll run over your toes with my wheelie backpack or the full glass bottle of Arizona tea in the side pocket will hit your ankle as I go by and it will hurt.

#2 Move to the far side of the elevator if there are others coming in behind you. Again, you see that I have this wheelie thing, if you stand in my way you are asking for bruised toes, banged ankle, etc.

#3 When you push the floor button, ask the person on the other side of the elevator what floor they're going to. It's just nice. Why should I have to reach all the way over past the other riders to hit my floor button?

#4 Look to see if the elevator is going up or down before you get in and find out it's going up and then you have to get out because you want to go down. Alternatively, ride up with me and then press the button again to go down. Yeah, it's a minor inconvenience but you get to chat with a very nice person, so what's the harm?

Oh, in case you were wondering, I won the Purple Prose contest. Thank you, if you voted for me.

There is also a very interesting conversation going on in the comments over at Mac's blog you should make a point to visit and join in.

I have a very strange sense of humor according to many who know me. I like dry, sardonic wit. I also like the kind of humorous satire that Terry Pratchett writes. I am so offended by about 90% of every Family Guy show that I can't watch it. Stopped watching Saturday Night Live ages ago and when I try to now I find that it just isn't funny to me anymore. So, the question comes to mind, is it because I'm getting to be a dried up old fart? I really hope not.

4 comments:

Thumper said...

One more to add to your elevator list: if you're a guy, don't get into an elevator with a female who is alone without asking if she's comfortable. Chances are she won't mind, but other women are absolutely terrified to be in such a confining and inescapable place with ANY man...

ohdawno said...

That's a very good one. Since I was meditating about the short elevator rides where I work (no bldg is over 5 storeys tall and most are 3) it didn't occur to me. Frankly most guys should be worried about getting into an elevator with me; I've got the wheelie backpack from hell...

Mac said...

Oh--Thumper, that IS a good one. :)

Dawno, you don't scare me, with your wheelie backpack. *grin* But I get all clammy and hyperventilate in elevators if I'm stuck there for very long, so I usually take the stairs...

Jill said...

CONGRATS on the Purple Prose! Please don't hate me for not voting. I promise, I honestly wouldn't know who to vote for because I don't know what's good - or bad - purple prose anyway! But I'm very happy for you. :)