Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Tagged by Kira!

I have been tagged by Kira of Loving Twilight fame to do this LitMeme

1. Take first five novels from your bookshelf. (I took the 5 after the 'how to write' books - being literal about literary - although most of the stuff I read is 'genre')
2. Book 1 -- first sentence
3. Book 2 -- last sentence on page 50
4. Book 3 -- second sentence on page 100
5. Book 4 -- next to the last sentence on page 150
6. Book 5 -- final sentence of the book
7. Make the five sentences into a paragraph.
8. Feel free to "cheat" to make it a better paragraph. (Had to do one cheat and swap out a book)
9. Name your sources
10.Post to your blog.

Jyothi's slight form wavered a little as Ma placed the smaller bundle on her head, but she held her head up and gripped it tightly with both hands, and soon found the point of perfect balance. I held my breath waiting for the burp guns to open fire and wanting to hit the ground. "Schist was a good officer," Detritus rumbled, shaking his head. Callie was wondering the same thing! Then he turned upon his heel and disappeared into the Darkness.

2. Book 1 -- first sentence of The Speech of Angels by Sharon Maas (one of my Purple Prose Prizes from an AW author-member)
3. Book 2 -- last sentence on page 50 of The Dead of Winter by Bill Warnock (orphan book from a prior post)
4. Book 3 -- second sentence on page 100 of Thud! by Terry Pratchett (I had Anansi Boys originally in the stack but page 100 is blank!)
5. Book 4 -- next to the last sentence on page 150 of Atlanta Nights by Travis Tea
6. Book 5 -- final sentence of the book Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

My bookshelf isn't in any order right now - it's mostly piles of half read or to be read books in my new office which was my son's bedroom. I'm slowly getting organized - bookshelf was one of the last things to attack...thus the order of the books is rather random.

Thanks for tagging me Kira! It was fun.

I'm pretty sure that most of the folks who read this blog have already been tagged/done this meme, but if you haven't and decide to give it a shot, please let me know - I'd love to read yours! (hmmm - Thumper bunny??)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it neat how these come together? It's funny you used Atlanta Nights, when you look at how both are put together.

Anyone who names a character Detritus has got to be good :) And I'm so glad the last sentence of Strange & Norrell doesn't have a name! It's in my TBR pile.

ohdawno said...

If you haven't read Pratchett I hope you'll give him a try. He's a hoot. Lots of folks recommend reading his stuff in 'chronological' order by publication date. I like to recommend starting with the witches books Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters and Witches Abroad. There's a great 'mapped out' reading list at http://tinyurl.com/3aq7a - open the colour powerpoint version, it's pretty.

Mac said...

Heh--that turned out very well, Dawno! I was soooooo looking forward to the Star Trek 'graph, though...