Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sometimes I Get Sent Really Odd Links - Other Times, They're Pretty Cool

The perfect tool for serious nicotine addicts who simply MUST light up as they clip their nails. (And , no, I'm not one of them) My question is, which came first, the clipper and someone thinking, "this should have a disposable lighter attached to it, because every time I clip my nails I really need to have a smoke afterwards" , or the lighter and the guy with a hangnail who tried burning it off and thought, "man, a pair of clippers attached to my lighter would have spared me this agonizing 3rd degree burn"

Teeny-tiny projector OK, that one has promise. Watching a movie on the screen of my iPod while flying cross country was a clever idea but so much detail is lost when the screen is two inches wide and not all of it is used for picture due to the wide-screen format of the movie one downloaded from iTunes. I ended up watching them again on my laptop when I got home. But with a mini-projector, why, you can project it on the seat back in front of you!

Of course, there are folk with concerns about the concept. I think they may have a good point. This also may hasten the day when answering your mobile phone means a 3D image of your caller can appear right in front of you, and you can see body language and facial expressions, which often lead to misunderstandings, and then there's the inability to get a word in edgewise, because nobody can see you jumping up and down in your chair trying to get their attention, as in traditional audio only conference calls.









While things like telepresence are available now, it's not something the general population can access, nor afford, with all the equipment needed. By the way - you can get an R2D2 Home Theatre System from Hammacher Schlemmer for only $2,800 - oops, no you can't they sold out. I am not surprised in the least.

Oh, I mailed off my application for a table at BayCon. If you're in the SF Bay area over Memorial Day weekend, come by and say hi.

No comments: