Friday, November 17, 2006

Tagged for "Five Things" Meme by Victoria Strauss of Writer Beware!

::Giggly fan girl moment::

ok, better now.

You can probably infer, from the number of posts I've put up on my blog that feature Writer Beware warnings and information, that I think Victoria Strauss and A. C. Crispin are way up near the top of my list of the most wonderful people on the planet. I also have a number of A. C. Crispin books on my bookshelf, as I am a rabid Star Trek novels fan and I'm starting to collect Victoria's books as well.

So, when I wandered over to read the recent posts, I noted Victoria had done a meme. Memes are fun, you learn stuff about folks, too. I read down through her answers. Good ones, all - you should go read the post.

Then I saw "Dawno" as one of her 5 tagged people. Dawno? That's me! Wow!

::down, fan girl, down!::

ok, better now, again.

Here are the details of the meme from "At Last! Writer Beware Blogs! A. C. Crispin and Victoria Strauss Reveal All!"

[Victoria says she's been tagged] "by Cathy Clamp to write five things about myself that few people know, and tag five others to do the same."

5 things that few people know about me. Hmm, where do I start? I'm such a shy person. I've been so reluctant to reveal much that is personal on my three blogs and in those thousands of posts on Absolute Write. Since people who would visit here know so little about me, I could say anything. This should be a snap.

::crickets::

Hours later...

#1.
My first major public solo musical performance was in a church Christmas program where I had the Mary solo. I believe to this day I got that role only because of my 3 month old son.

The better singer's (seriously - operatic quality soprano and I used to have an ok voice, but not in her league at all) baby was a girl. You might think "who would know?" but this is a church - we all knew her, she was a featured singer, the organist and the wife of one of the associate ministers. Everyone knew her baby was a girl.

Even so - who would care? It's just a church program. Well, this was a huge church and it was just outside of L.A. in a little suburban community called Santa Clarita. Many of the folk at the church were from "the industry" (movies, tv or recording - I've got a Bacon number of 3 as a result of knowing Steve Lively). So this was quite a production - not your typical tempura painted sets and bathrobed shepherds.

Was the music minister was a stickler for authenticity? Maybe he didn't want to stretch our willing suspension of disbelief too far? Or he felt sorry for me, a new member and a new mom with a 3 month old baby boy - why not let her do it, she can carry a tune while holding a baby. I was very grateful for the chance, regardless, as I love to sing and always wanted to be a soloist. I was able to do many more solos at that church for the few years I was there. I often miss those times.

#2.
I love to eat raw green onions - with lots of salt and I only eat the white part. The green stuff stays on the plate. This I inherited from my dad.

#3.
I had thick tufts of hair on my ears at birth. Don't know how long it stayed there but nobody called me "wolfgirl" in elementary school, so it was gone by the time I turned 5. Currently ears are still fur-free and I can wear silver without feeling deathly ill.

#4.
I would like to own a pet hedgehog. I would not call it Spiny Norman - tempting as that would be - perhaps something very English sounding and floral.

#5.
I'm often the last person to "get" things. I'm very literal sometimes. I have a story to illustrate. When I was in college M*A*S*H was a huge hit show and we all gathered in the dorm lobby/lounge to watch. It was an event - people brought snacks and sodas and popcorn. If you wanted a chair or the couch you camped out hours in advance. So there's an episode where the main characters are sitting around drinking and they start toasting (I Googled the lines and found them):

Col. Potter: "To Blackjack Pershing."
Hawkeye: "Inventor of 21."
Col. Potter: "To Harry Truman."
B.J.: "To Bess Truman. To Margaret Truman."
Hawkeye: "To err is Truman."
It goes to commercial after that. I finally got the last line - and started laughing. People looked at me - the commercial wasn't funny. I explained. People made zoom gestures over their heads. Took me a minute to get that, too. Puns go over my head all the time. I'm not good at coming up with them either, to my chagrin.

Well, that's it. Thank you Victoria - it was fun.

Time to tag 5 lucky bloggers!

DTKelly
emeraldcite
XNavigatorX
AmyBA
chaostitan



,
,
,
,
,
,

4 comments:

Victoria Strauss said...

Love the M.A.S.H. story! And the little hedgehog is sooo cute.

Anonymous said...

aww man, you had to go and tag me.

Okay, well. You'll have to wait until tomorrow, as it'll be my NaBloPoMo post.

muhahaha. ;)

And I laughed at the M.A.S.H. story. If i'm flipping through and find an episode, I have to watch it. I loved that show.

Kelly Meding/Kelly Meade said...

Hi Dawno! Thanks for the tag. I've got my post up, and have continued the chain. It was a lot of fun, and thanks for thinking of me. :)

http://chaostitan.blogspot.com/2006/11/five-little-known-facts.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Dawno-- it only took me a week to think of my five things, but I'm ready and have tagged five others. I hope they'll play along...