Friday, July 18, 2008

Stay Safe Son

Woke up at 4:15 this morning to take my son to the airport for the first leg of his journey back overseas. We got to the airport at 5 and I parked and walked into the terminal with my son, expecting to part with him at the security line. The check in line was very long, but as it turned out, it was because nobody was mentioning the shorter one for my son's airline. I figured it out and he walked over to the shorter line. In about 10 seconds an attendant from the airline came up to him and took him out of line directly to a kiosk, got his pass for him and took us up to the counter where she proceeded to get my son's girlfriend and I passes to go back to the boarding area. Wow! We got an extra hour with him before he boarded the plane.

I tried to get some pictures of him as he was boarding, but they were blurry - I think I had the camera on the wrong setting. Yep, it was set to "close up" - dang. Here's the best of the lot:



"Smile son!" I said. The kid is such a goofball. I kept my composure - probably wouldn't have if his girlfriend hadn't been there, though. Now it's 5 or 6 more months until he's back. God bless and watch over you, dear - and the same to all the sons and daughters headed over and still there, too.

5 comments:

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

It may be a little blurry, but you can sure see his personality. My nephew just left too. Take care of yourself while he's gone. You raised a brave son!

Oh and so nice they let you through for a bit longer. ~Karen

ohdawno said...

Yeah, he does have a personality!

Thank your nephew for his service for me. I hope he stays safe as well.

It was early when I wrote the post - I should have been much more effusive about how I felt that the American Airlines counter rep made a point of giving us such special and personalized service. I've tried to always fly American Airlines when I can, but mostly due to the miles I've built up with business travel due to it being one of the preferred carriers at work. Now I have one more reason to support them in thanks for this gesture, small for them, HUGE for me and my son.

Ray Wong said...

Good luck and stay safe, Matt. We appreciate what you're doing. Come home to your mama soon.

pecunium said...

As I said the last time he left... if there's anything I can do to help...

ohdawno said...

Thanks, Ray and Terry. Just knowing I've got a huge virtual support group is a big help. But I take all offers seriously, and if I do need something, you bet I'll let you know.