Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Another in My Series of Lazy Person Recipies

You may recall my Apple Thing post some years back. I think I may have also mentioned other really lazy recipe ideas here like Snack Pack Chocolate Pudding Pie (buy a chocolate crumb pie crust, fill with Snack Pack pudding, top with Cool Whip, voila). So now I am pleased to introduce a new easy, lazy, Food Thing, Chicken Rice Thing.

My husband and I used to enjoy having a chicken and rice dish that was super easy to fix thanks to Lipton (now Lipton/Knorr) Chicken Flavored Rice. Comes in a packet and all we did was follow the directions on the packet plus add a can of cooked chunk chicken. I am avoiding gluten as much as I can, having recently found some stellar personal health benefits to doing this. The chicken rice packet has these tiny rice like noodles in it which, of course, are pasta made of wheat. So much for that easy meal.

The other day, though, I came up with a pretty good wheat-free imitation. I'm having some now and was inspired to share.

Chicken Rice Thing

One can chicken (whatever size and type you like)
One to one and a half cups cooked rice (I make a pot of steamed rice in a small steamer every few days, so I always have it handy - you can substitute instant cooked rice or boil-in-bag rice for a quick substitute)
a packet of Chicken Flavor Boost
Poultry seasonings
butter or margarine to taste (I think the recipe on the packet called for a tablespoon, I always use more because I like it butter-y)
two tablespoons of water

Put the flavor boost (I guess you could use a bouillon cube), water (stir those two up a bit), butter and poultry seasonings in a small cup or bowl and nuke until the butter is melted. Stir that into the rice, stir in the can of chicken and nuke the whole thing for 2 to 2 and a half minutes. You can also add other flavors like soy sauce, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes - you name it. That's it, you're done. Have another veggie on the side, some fruit for dessert and it's a fairly balanced meal. Kinda carb heavy, though. Quinoa has fewer net carbs, but because quinoa is not flavor neutral like rice, it significantly changes the flavor of the dish.




No comments: